A new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM has come out for the “old yet still actively developed for” LG Optimus One. Called CM10 Crystal and released by XDA Senior Member JeduRocks, the ROM is based on the CyanogenMod 10 ROM for the Optimus One – which features fast performance and useful customization features, but with many changes such as reduced bloat, faster and less lag, and other tweaks for improved performance and stability.
However, keep in mind that this is not an official ROM by LG. It is a custom ROM under development and may have a few issues in it. Also, it is based on stock Android, so any LG-specific features will not be available and a few apps will be different from their original versions (such as the camera or gallery).
Let’s take a look at how the CM10 Crystal ROM can be installed on the Optimus One.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Optimus One P500/P506/P505/P509. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 Crystal ROM on LG Optimus One
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. To do this, press and hold the Home + Volume Down + Power buttons to boot into CWM.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the Gapps package finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone to boot up into CM10 Crystal ROM.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 Crystal ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your LG Optimus One. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.