Update HTC Vivid to Ice Cream Sandwich With Leaked Firmware
HTC Vivid users are all set to get some Ice Cream Sandwich joy, thanks to XDA developer Pirateghost, who has released a stock Android 4.0.3 firmware from AT&T.
One can flash the leaked Ice Cream Sandwich firmware on his/her HTC Vivid at AT&T, but it’s not as easy-cheezy as you would hope for — turns out you get to lock the bootloader for updating it with a firmware and then unlock it again for recovery and all fun stuff.
But we’ve got you covered with a comprehensive guide below. This Rom is pre-rooted and includes the Sense 3.6 overlay, as well all the standard AT&T applications (aka bloatware) that come with a stock firmware. To know how you can flash this on your Vivid, read on.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Vivid. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Phone
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have beenforewarned!
Developer → Pirateghost
- Rooted/S-Off HTC Vivid with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- Important! Updated bootloader. To do so, you need to lock and then re-unlock your bootloader. You can follow this easy guide to do so.
How To Install Rooted Stock ICS firmware on the HTC Vivid
- Download the rooted Stock firmware to your PC from the original development thread.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of external SDcard on the Vivid, and disconnect the phone from the PC
- Switch off your phone, and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (Press Volume Down & Power Key, and select recovery in the next screen). In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select options
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Once you’re in recovery, Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm data wipe. (This does not touch your SD cards, so don’t worry).
- Similarly do “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache” (from advanced menu).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard” from the main menu, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse to the ROM file on your SD card that you downloaded in step 2 and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *rom_file_name*.zip“. The Ice Cream Sandwich will now start installing on your Vivid.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu, and select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone. The first boot might take a while, so be patient.
That’s it. If everything went well you should be running Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Vivid. Visit the development page to get more info and feedback from other users. And do share your thoughts with us regarding this leaked Ice Cream Sandwich ROM in comments below.