The latest stable version – Milestone 6 – of AOKP ROM was recently released for all supported devices, and now the One X users can also enjoy Milestone 6 thanks to a port of the ROM by XDA Forum Member karoodee. AOKP provides a stock Android 4.0 experience, with advanced features and customization options, along with fast and smoother performance.
Since the ROM is an unofficial port and the One X is not an officially supported AOKP device, there may be a few small bugs and issues in the ROM, though the ROM is completely stable for everyday use.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP Milestone 6 can be installed on your HTC One X.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One X. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 6 on HTC One X
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your HTC One X by following the guide → here.
- Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery by following the guide → here.
- Download and install HTC Sync software on your computer in order to install the required drivers for the phone.
Download HTC Sync
Skip this step if you already installed the drivers while following step 2, or if you have HTC Sync installed already.
- Download the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip file (don’t extract it) to the SD card.
- Also download the Flash_Boot.zip file from → here. This is required to flash the necessary boot image on the phone.
- Extract the Flash_Boot.zip file to a convenient location on the computer.
- Open the ROM’s zip file (downloaded in step 5) on the computer and extract the boot.img file from inside it. Then, copy the boot.img file to the folder where you extracted the Flash_Boot.img file in step 9. You will then have 5 files in the folder.
- Switch off the phone. Boot into the bootloader mode first by holding the Volume Down button while powering on the phone. Then, select FASTBOOT from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select to enter fastboot mode. Then connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to the folder where you extracted the Flash_Boot.zip file in step 9. Double-click the flash-boot-windows.bat file to flash the required kernel.
- After the kernel is flashed, the window that showed up will automatically close. It might also say OKAY/finished and stay open, which is normal.
- Now, press the power button on the phone to select BOOTLOADER, then navigate to the RECOVERY option and select it using the power button to boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use the volume keys to scroll up/down and the power button to select.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe. This will only delete your installed apps and settings, but will leave all other files and data on the SD card intact, so don’t worry.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- After installation of ROM is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package. Select Yes on next screen to confirm installation.
- After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP Milestone 6 ROM.
Milestone 6 version of AOKP ROM is now installed on your HTC One X. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.