A preview CM10 ROM (CyanogenMod 10) – based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean which many must have been waiting for – is out for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in an unofficial form, thanks to XDA Senior Member MapleSyrup who has compiled a ROM for both Wi-Fi and Wifi+3G variants of the device from the CyanogenMod sources. This ROM has quite a lot more things working compared to the previous Jelly Bean ROM released for the Tab 10.1.
NOTE: CM10 is in an early stage so do not expect to see many customization options of CyanogenMod to be present in the ROM in the beginning, and there may be some bugs and issues in the ROM that will take time to get fixed, thanks to the early stages of development that Jelly Bean ROMs are in.
Here’s a list of things currently working/not working (most updated list is on the development page linked in the guide):
- 3G (GT-P7500)
- HW accelerated video
Read on for the instructions on how to flash CM10 on your Galaxy Tab 10.1.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 10.1, model number P7510/P7500. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Galaxy Tab 10.1
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your device.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page. Make sure to download the correct version according to your model, there are different downloads for both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi+3G models.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card.
- Now, turn off the tablet, then boot into CWM recovery. To do so, power on the tablet while holding down the Volume Up button, then when the screen turns on, let go of the power button but keep holding the Volume Up button till a menu shows up. Here, press Volume Down to highlight the recovery mode icon, then press Volume Up to enter recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select options.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore. On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files on the SD card).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your tablet and boot into CM10.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 10.1. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.