The I9100G Galaxy S2 is hellbent on beating the I9100 at the race to have the most number of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROMs, as more and more Jelly Bean ROMs seem to be coming out for it regularly.
Galaxy S2 I9100 owners can find custom Jelly Bean ROMs → here.
XDA Recognized Contributor neerajganga has released AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 for the I9100G. AOKP features fast performance and some very useful customization options such as inbuilt theme engine, along with the usual Jelly Bean features such as a smooth interface, advanced voice recognition, offline voice typing, Google Now (which presents info to the user such as traffic info without their intervention), and more.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM and is still under development, so there may be a few issues in it and some things may not work properly.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an unofficial stock Android based ROM, some features like 3G video calling will be unavailable as those are only possible on stock Samsung ROMs (video calls using 3rd party apps like Skype will work fine though). Some other features such as an FM radio will be missing too, and some apps like camera may not be the same as on stock ROMs.
Read on to find out how you can install AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean on your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number I9100G. It’s not compatible with the I9100 or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
NOTE, Please Read: If you are already on a Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM or a CyanogenMod ROM, you can skip steps 2 and 3 and go directly to step 4 after the 1st step.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 4 and step 5 to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- Be sure to read the FAQ here for information on a few things in the ROM.
NOTE: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 I9100G. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
A few other Jelly Bean custom ROMs for the I9100G can be found → here.