Update Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0.4 Using Odin/Download Mode
The Galaxy Nexus received an Over the Air (OTA) update to Android 4.0.4 recently, bringing along stability and performance improvements. In case you didn’t receive it on your device yet and were looking to flash it manually and aren’t too comfortable using the fastboot method to flash the update, you can instead flash the update on your Nexus using ODIN in download mode, thanks to Recognized XDA developer Chainfire.
Now, bear in mind that this method is only applicable to the international GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus. DO NOT try it on the Verizon/Sprint/LTE/CDMA/other variants of the device.
Read on to find out how you can update your Galaxy Nexus to 4.0.4 using ODIN.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the international GSM Galaxy Nexus, model number i9250. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings
(but it will NOT touch your SD card, so don’t worry about those)and (our apologies for the mistake) it will erase data on your phone’s sdcard too, including photos, videos, files, etc. so do make a full backup of all sdcard content before proceeding. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you. To take backup of sdcard, simply connect you Gnex to PC and copy paste sdcard’s content to PC.
- Drivers! You must have the proper drivers installed on the computer.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0.4 with ODIN
- Download the update file.
Download Link | Filename: CF_ODIN_YAKJU_IMM76D_full.zip [Link updated, October 24, 2012]
- Extract the file downloaded in step 1 to get a file named CF_YAKJU_IMM76D_full.tar. This is the required file that must be flashed through ODIN.
- Download Odin 1.85 from → here.
- Extract the contents of the Odin3-v1.85.zip file to a folder.
- Now, turn off your Galaxy Nexus, then boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down button while powering on the phone. The phone will boot into download mode.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.85.exe that you got after extracting the file Odin3-v1.85.zip.
- In ODIN, click the PDA tab, then select the CF_YAKJU_IMM76D_full.tar you obtained in step 2.
- Important! Do not make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file in PDA as given in step 7. Leave all other options as they are.
- Connect your Nexus to the computer. You should get the message “Added!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 2 above under ‘pre-installation requirements’.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing the 4.0.4 update on your Galaxy Nexus. After the flashing is complete, the phone will automatically reboot. You’ll also get a PASS message in ODIN. You can now safely disconnect your phone from the computer.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do the following – disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn tablet on in Download mode, and do the procedure again from Step 6.
- If you run into any roadblocks while flashing the update, let us know and we’ll help you out.