Update Galaxy Nexus to JRO03H Jelly Bean AOSP ROM [Android 4.1.1]
Google recently released the factory aka stock Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean images for the Galaxy Nexus, having the build number JRO03H which is the latest official Jelly Bean build for the device. Based on this JRO03H build, XDA Senior Member AndroidUser00110001 has released a ROM which is pre-rooted but has no other changes and lets you manually update to the latest Android 4.1 firmware on your Galaxy Nexus.
Lets take a look at how the JRO03H Jelly Bean ROM can be installed on the Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the international GSM Galaxy Nexus, model number i9250. It’s not compatible with Verizon/Sprint variants or any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install JRO03H Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy Nexus
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your Galaxy Nexus by following the guide → here. This will erase all your data, including the data on the SD card, so back everything up first (see step 1).
- [Important!] Install TWRP recovery on your Nexus by following the guide → here. Make sure to flash the GSM version of recovery. You need recovery to be able to install the ROM and can also use ClockworkMod recovery instead of TWRP.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the its development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the two files downloaded in step 4 and 5 to phone (DO NOT extract the files).
- Turn off the phone and boot into TWRP/CWM recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on. Then, scroll to the Restart Recovery option using the volume buttons, then select it using the Power button to restart in recovery.
- Now, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if something does not work out with the new ROM. After backup is complete, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Select Wipe, then select Factory Reset and then confirm the data wipe. This will not wipe your internal SD card’s contents, so do not worry. Then, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button after wipe is complete.
- Select Install, then browse and select the ROM file you downloaded in step 4. Confirm installation to flash it.
- After installation of ROM is complete, repeat step 10, but this time select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After installation is complete, select the Reboot system button to reboot the phone and boot up into the ROM. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
The JRO03H based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Nexus. Let us know how it works!
You can also try out a few other Jelly Bean based custom ROMs for the Galaxy Nexus → here.