Update Epic 4G Touch to Latest Leaked Firmware, FB27 [Ice Cream Sandwich]
Samsung Epic 4G Touch owners have one more occasion to be happy about, as another Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 firmware, version FB27, was leaked from Samsung’s servers (whether they get leaked by mistake or on purpose by Samsung, we’ll let you decide). This will make it the fourth ICS leak for the Epic 4G Touch which users will of course gobble up without complaints. Of course, as this is an unofficially leaked firmware, do expect bugs and issues to be present. Let’s get on with the flashing procedure without further delay because we know you’re already itching to try it out. Warning! The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!! Compatibility This firmware and the guide below is compatible only and only with Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’smodel number in Settings » About phone.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download Link
How to Install FB27 on Epic 4G Touch [Step By Step Guide]:
- Download FB27 firmware from the original page. Filename: FB27-Stock-2.tar
- Download Odin 1.85 from → here. Filename: Odin 1.85.zip | Size: 199 KB
- Extract the contents of the Odin 1.85.zip file to a folder.
- Disconnect your phone if it’s connected to PC. Switch Off your phone. Wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Now, put the phone in Download Mode — press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Power. You’ll get a ‘Warning!‘ screen.. press Volume up to continue to enter download mode
- Open Odin (from step 2) — double-click the Odin3 v1.85.exe that you got after extracting the file “Odin 1.85.zip”.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added!!” under Odin’smessage box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 3 above under ‘pre-installation tips’.
- Now, in Odin, click the PDA tab, and select the file FB27-Stock-2.tar you downloaded in step 1
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the firmware file in PDA tab as mentioned in step 8.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing the firmware. When the flashing procedure is finished, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do the following: Disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 6.
- When it has restarted, your Epic 4G Touch will be running Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) with version being Android 4.0.3, build being FB27 and Samsung’s custom UI TouchWiz 4 atop it. Check out your Epic 4G’s Android version here: Settings » About Phone.
[Optional] Getting ODIN to Detect Phone after Flashing FB27
After you flash the FB27 firmware, Odin might not detect the phone when you connect it to the PC. If this happens, do the following:
Go to Device Manager (find it in Control Panel), right-click on the Unknown Device, update driver, click browse, select ‘let me pick from a list’, select all (wait till it loads), find Samsung Co and install one of the ones that have modem in the name.
That’s it. You now have Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 running on your Epic 4G Touch. Do let us know your experience and problems (if any) in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.