Update Desire HD to Ice Cream Sandwich with Blackout ICS XL
Those looking to get Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 with Sense UI on their Desire HD need look no further. Blackout ICS XL is an ICS ROM based on Sensation XL ICS firmware, and comes with Sense UI version 3.6 on top. Ported by Team Blackout (hence the ROM’s name), the ROM lets you enjoy the HTC experience with the power and features of Android 4.0 underneath.
The ROM is a work-in-progress so keep in mind that there might be issues and bugs present and stuff that will not work properly. Read on to find out how you can flash Blackout ICS XL ROM on your HTC Desire HD.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Desire HD. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Not Working/Known Issues:
- USB Mount – Used 3rd party app for now like this one → here
- GPU Acceleration (2D rendering UI)
- More things…
- Rooted/S-Off HTC Desire HD with Clockworkmod Recovery installed
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How To Install Blackout ICS XL ROM on the HTC Desire HD
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of external sdcard on your Desire HD, and disconnect the phone from PC.
- Switch off your phone, and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (Press Volume Down & Power Key, and select recovery in the next screen). In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select options
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard from step 2 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
After the phone boots up, you can enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich with Sense UI on your Desire HD. Visit the original development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.