Update Atrix 2 to Android 2.3.6 OTA with Root Retained
One of the most frequently asked questions, when it comes to applying an OTA update, is whether one would lose root. And the answer is, disappointingly, Yes!! Some people tend to steer away from stock updates altogether, and stick to Custom ROMs, while some tend to go through the update, and then the process of rooting their devices again, which could be pretty cumbersome.
XDA member Michael443 has posted an excellent step-by-step guide in his thread at XDA, which walks us through the process of updating the Motorola Atrix 2 to the latest 2.3.6 OTA update, while still preserving root access. A lot of you may already know this, and are probably using this method, but for the uninitated, this can be a very handy guide to refer to.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This guide has been specifically written for the Motorola Atrix 2. Do not try to attempt it any other device as it may cause issues with your device. Check your device model number in: Settings » About Phone
How To Apply 2.3.6 OTA Update on the Atrix 4G, with Root retained
- Download and Install OTA Rootkeeper on your Atrix 2
- Launch OTA Rootkeeper, and Select ‘Create SU backup‘
- Once SU backup is completed, Select Temp Unroot .
- Now exit OTA Rootkeeper
- Uninstall the Superuser app. In case you have Superuser Elite installed, uninstall that too.
- Now uninstall OTA Rootkeeper. The backup you created through OTA rootkeeper in Step 2 above will still be retained, so don’t worry.
- Now go ahead and download the 2.3.6 OTA update to the phone and apply it
- Once the update is complete, reboot the phone. Once it has rebooted, power-cycle the phone ( Switch it off and power it back on after a minute)
- Once the phone has booted back up, install OTA Rootkeeper and Superuser again
- Launch OTA Rootkeeper, and Select Restore Root. This should bring up a superuser permission prompt, Accept it.
- Now reboot the phone.
- That’s it!! You have updated to the latest 2.3.6 OTA, and are also rooted.
Go ahead and try this out, and update your Atrix 2 to the latest firmware version, while still retaining root access. If you come across any roadblocks, give us a hoot in comments below, and we’ll be there to help you out