Update ASUS Transformer TF300T with Rooted Official Jelly Bean firmware 10.4.2.13
An over the air update was rolled out to the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T yesterday that bought some fixes and improvements to the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware on the tablet, updating it to the firmware version 10.4.2.13. XDA Senior Member surdu_petru has taken this latest update, rooted it and released it as a standalone ROM, so people can directly update to the latest official Jelly Bean firmware on their TF300T.
The rooted 10.4.2.13 Jelly Bean firmware can be installed over either stock Android 4.0 or Android 4.1 firmware, and the guide below will help you do that with step-by-step instructions. However, if you want to update to the original Android 4.1 update directly from ASUS without any modification, follow this guide to do so.
Let’s take a look at how the rooted 10.4.2.13 Jelly Bean firmware can be installed on the TF300T.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Update ASUS Transformer TF300T to Rooted Jelly Bean 10.4.2.13 Firmware
- This procedure might wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the bootloader on your TF300T is unlocked. Go to the Asus Support Page → here, select Android in the OS drop down menu, then select Utilities, then download the Unlock Device App, copy it to the tablet, install it and use it to unlock the bootloader. This will void your warranty, so make sure you are comfortable with that and be sure to take a backup (step step 1). Skip this step if bootloader is already unlocked.
- [Important!] Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed on your tablet. This will NOT work with ClockworkMod recovery. Use this guide to install TWRP recovery if needed. Skip this step if you have TWRP recovery already installed.
- Download the rooted firmware.
Download Link | Filename: asus.7z
- Using a program like 7-zip, extract the file downloaded in step 4 once to get a file named asus.zip. Do not extract the newly obtained file.
- Copy the asus.zip file to the internal storage on the tablet.
- Shut down the tablet. Then boot into TWRP recovery. To do that, press and hold Volume Down + Power, until a message appears on-screen saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Here, in less than 5 seconds, press the Volume Up button to enter TWRP recovery.
- Now, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if something does not work out with the new ROM. After backup is complete, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Tap on Wipe, then tap on Cache/Dalvik cache to wipe the cache. Return to main recovery screen after wipe is complete.
- Select Install, then browse and select theasus.zip file you copied in step 6 above. Confirm installation to flash it.
- After installation is complete, select the Reboot system button to reboot the tablet and boot up into the ROM. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
Your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T is now running the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean official firmware. Do let us know how it works!