Update Acer Iconia A500 to Ice Cream Sandwich with Icylicious ROM. It’s Rooted Already.
The Acer Iconia Tab A500 recently saw the leak of an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 firmware for it, but unfortunately failed to run on most devices, rendering some of them unusable. But the modding community started work on it, trying to get it to run properly, and they succeeded allowing A500 owners to taste ICS on their tablets.
The latest on the development scene is Icylicious ROM, a custom ROM based on the leaked ICS firmware, that comes pre-rooted and without most of the pre-loaded Acer apps, resulting in a fast and bloatware free ROM. Almost everything in the ROM works, so it can surely be used as a daily ROM for those who want to do so.
Read on to find out how you can flash the Icylicious ROM on your Acer Iconia A500.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Acer Iconia Tab A500. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → ATGAdmin
- On bootup you get a funky looking screen for a couple of seconds, don’t be alarmed.
- Speaker Static when keyboard sounds are turned on (from original Acer release)
- Rooted Iconia Tab A500 with Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Icylicious ROM on Acer Iconia Tab A500
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the root of your SD card on your tablet.
- Boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when needed.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Select “mounts and storage”, then select “format system”. Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Then go back to the main recovery menu after system format is complete.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the tablet.
You can now enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 on your Iconia A500 with Icylicious ROM. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.