The Infuse 4G seems to have no hopes of getting the official Ice Cream Sandwich, thanks to Samsung only deeming their dual-core phones to be worthy of Android 4.0. However, the custom development community is always there to help. Elite Recognized XDA developer Entropy512 has started building CM9 ROMs for the Infuse (after the previous developer left XDA), which bring you Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 in custom ROM form.
The ROM is not fully complete yet and is in the beta stage, so there are a number of things that don’t work, either properly or at all. So be sure you take a look at the list of issues below before trying out the ROM.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Infuse 4G, model number I997. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → Faryaab
- Camera (front camera is zoomed in excessively)
- Car dock audio (possibly desk dock too, untested) – Some issues with ringtone playback when docked – This is native dock audio, not using the Car Dock Redirector app workaround.
- Wifi tethering – We need far more than the HIDDEN_SSID fix CM7 required unfortunately
- Bluetooth – Not working at all, not even to CM7 levels
- TV Output – No one has gotten MHL fully working on any Samsung device yet to my knowledge. There’s some promising results from the I9100 community but it’s not there yet.
- Settings->Advanced will FC until I port over the relevant parts of the GalaxyS settings app from the GalaxySII
- Important! An Infuse 4G with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Unofficial CM9 ROM on Infuse 4G
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- Important! When you reboot the phone, it will get stuck at the Samsung screen. Here, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys until the phone reboots, then let go of the Power button but keep holding the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons till you enter recovery.
- Select mounts and storage, then:
- Select format system and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- Select format data and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- Select format cache and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- After completing step 8, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Repeat step 5 to install the ROM again. After it finishes installing, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Repeat step 5 again, but this time choose the Google apps file gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip to install Google apps.
- After the installation of Google apps package is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
CM9 is now installed and running on your Infuse 4G, with Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 being the Android version. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.