Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9), which does a better job at making Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 run on devices than the updates from the manufacturers themselves, is available unofficially for the HTC Droid Incredible 2. What this means is that you don’t have to wait for the bloated official update from HTC to jump to ICS, but instead use the almighty CM9 ROM for improved performance and customization.
The ROM is however in the beta stage at this point, and will certainly be so till Cyanogenmod 9 itself is under development. So do expect a few bugs and issues to be present in the ROM (found under ROM Info below).
Read on to find out how you can install Cyanogenmod 9 on your HTC Droid Incredible 2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with HTC Droid Incredible 2. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
What’s Currently Broken:
- Netflix, Flash Video
- LED flash for camera
- Face unlock may not work until FFC has been used in the Camera app.
- Important! Rooted Droid Incredible 2 with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. .
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Cyanogenmod 9 on Droid Incredible 2
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power/home button to select options.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select mounts and storage, then select format system. Select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Now, after formatting system, you have to make sure that the system partition is mounted. So, in mounts and storage, select mount /system. It should change to unmount /system which is what is required. If it’s already saying unmount /system, leave it like that. Go back to the main recovery menu after mounting system.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 8, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
The first boot will take some time, so sit back and relax, then enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 with CM9 on your HTC Droid Incredible 2. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.