The AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, having gotten a taste of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 with two of the most important ROMs aka CM10 and AOKP already, is here to get a third helping of Jelly Bean goodness, thanks to another unofficial CM10 ROM with extra features baked in.
You get the important features of Jelly Bean, such as a smooth as butter interface, advanced voice recognition, improved and more useful notifications, offline voice typing, faster browser, etc along with customization options that CyanogenMod is famous for.
The ROM has been released by the TeamChopsticks development team, who have also released the same ROM for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 variant, and you can install it on your AT&T Skyrocket by following the guide below.
NOTE: Custom Jelly Bean development as well as CM10 are in their early stages, so expect bugs and issues to be present as well as things that might work properly. Since these are custom source-based ROMs and not official updates, problems are to be expected.
The ROM currently has the following issues, which you should keep in mind (the most updated list can be found on the ROM’s issues page):
- camera: Camera and Torch do not work at all
- wifi: Clients cannot connect to wifi tethering if WPA is enabled. Use Open for now.
- lights: Capacitive lights may not come on if BLN is enabled
- lights: If BLN is enabled, it may be disabled on the next reboot
- radio: SMS longer than 160 characters will get split and not reassembled by the other side
- radio: SMS messages sent too close together in time will not be sent
- radio: “Use only 2G networks” option in Settings does not work
- radio: Changing “Preferred network mode” in Settings does not work
- radio: On Rogers, you may have no data without inputting your APN
- radio: Contacts on SIM card are not accessible
- radio: Changing call forwarding from this ROM is broken
- peripherals: MTP mode does not work on Linux or Mac – stick with USB mass storage for now
Let’s take a look at how the unofficial CM10 ROM can be installed on the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number SGH-I727. It’s not compatible with other US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, and AT&T Galaxy S2 or any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Unofficial CM10 ROM on AT&T Skyrocket
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- [Important!] Install the ClockworkMod (CWM) Touch recovery on the phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM for Skyrocket from the official development page. Download the ROM only from the development page linked here.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the 2 zip files downloaded in steps 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the phone (do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files on the SD card).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After gapps installation is complete, select mounts and storage, then select format /cache to format the cache partition. After format is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
- NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10, based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.