Back in April, the Sprint Galaxy Nexus started receiving CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) ROM officially, in the form of nightlies. Nightlies are ROMs that are automatically generated every night incorporating the latest changes made by the developers every day. However, as CM9 is in the development stages, the nightlies right now aren’t very regular, often taking days between two consecutive versions.
CM9 brings improved performance and great customization options, so in case you wish to keep up with the latest and greatest changes in CM9, XDA Senior Member swordrune10 has started building daily nightly ROMs for CM9 unofficially (it’s still the official ROM, but the daily builds are unofficially compiled by swordrune10).
Read on to find out how you can flash the unofficial CM9 nightly ROM on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Unofficial CM9 Nightly on Sprint Galaxy Nexus
- Important! Make sure the bootloader on your phone is unlocked. You can use this guide to do so (external link).
- Install the Touch Clockworkmod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official download page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do this, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up and Down to enter Fastboot mode where you will see Start written in big green letters. Then, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery mode option, then select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery mode.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM9. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
The latest CM9 ROM is now installed on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.