AOKP, one of the most popular custom ROMs has made its way to the HTC One V in the form of an unofficial port by XDA member spxc. AOKP, based on Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0, provides an unadulterated stock ICS experience (i.e no Sense UI on top), but with tons of customization options, and faster performance than stock firmware.
However, the ROM is a work-in-progress, so it will have some bugs and issues. Not everything will work properly, at least in the initial stages of development. But expect things to get better as time goes by.
Continue reading to find out how AOKP ROM can be installed on your HTC One V.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One V. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on HTC One V
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- You need to unlock the bootloader on your HTC One V, which can be done officially here. Unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty, keep that in mind.
- Make sure you have Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) installed on the phone. You can follow the instructions here for installing CWM recovery.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and then boot into Clockworkmod recovery.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
The AOKP ROM is now installed on your HTC One V. Visit the official development page for more information and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.