Here’s a new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM for the Wi-Fi-only variant of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 – Paranoid Android ROM. Paranoid Android is unique for its hybrid phone and tablet interface, along with other features such as the ability to change and scale the size of individual apps and widgets on a per-app basis, going as far as allowing different parts of the interface itself to be sized and scaled individually.
And of course, the ROM will get you features of stock Jelly Bean as well – such as a smooth as butter and fluid interface, expandable and actionable notifications, smart keyboard, faster and efficient browser, a voice recognition assisted Google search experience, and lots more.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM. It’s a custom ROM that is under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some things may not work properly and some stock Samsung ROM features will not be available.
Read on for the instructions on how to Paranoid Android ROM on your Galaxy Tab 10.1.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi variant, model number P7510. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Paranoid Android ROM on Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your device.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card.
- Now, turn off the tablet, then boot into CWM recovery. To do so, power on the tablet while holding down the Volume Up button, then when the screen turns on, let go of the power button but keep holding the Volume Up button till a menu shows up. Here, press Volume Down to highlight the recovery mode icon, then press Volume Up to enter recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select options.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore. On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files on the SD card).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your tablet and boot into Paranoid Android ROM.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into ClockworkMod recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Paranoid Android ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.