Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S3 [How To]
Verizon tried, tried to mar the perfect record of Samsung not locking the bootloaders on their devices, but the development community as always has come to the rescue, as the bootloader on the Verizon Galaxy S3 can now be fully unlocked, thanks to a method released by XDA Elite Recognized Developer AdamOutler. An unlocked bootloader allows one to flash custom ROMs and kernels and other modifications normally without having to use complicated workaround methods, and now Verizon Galaxy S3 owners will not have to bear the troubles of a locked bootloader either.
RootzWiki Developer mmmeff has made the bootloader process really simple by using the hack by AdamOutler and using it in a normal app – EZ-Unlock – that can be installed from the Play Store and then used to unlock the bootloader via root access with a single tap. The guide below will walk you through the process of how the app can be used to unlock the bootloader on your Verizon Galaxy S3.
——— Read the warning below before continuing ———
Warning! You must not accept official OTA (over the air) updates on the phone or via Kies from Samsung/Verizon after unlocking the bootloader, as those can brick your devices. This is very important. You must only flash new firmware manually via Odin or ClockworkMod recovery if needed. Again, do not accept official OTA updates from Samsung/Verizon.
——— Read the warning above before continuing ———
Now, let’s take a look at how the bootloader can be unlocked on your Verizon Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the Verizon Galaxy S3, model number SCH-i535. It’s not compatible with other US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S3
- Root your phone by using the GS3DebugFSRoot Tool.
- Install the VZW GS3 EZ-Unlock (Bootloader) app from the Play Store. If the app cannot be installed from the Play Store for some reason, do the following to install it manually.
- Download the latest version of the app from its development page.
- Copy the downloaded APK file to your phone.
- Enable Unknown sources under Settings » Security on the phone so you can manually install apps.
- Using a file manager (you can install OI file manager or ES File Explorer from the Play Store if needed), browse to where you copied the APK file downloaded in step 3.1, then tap on it to begin installation. After installation is done, proceed to the next step.
- Run the EZ-Unlock app on the phone after it’s installed.
- When asked, grant it root access by clicking the Grant/Allow button.
- Then, click on the “Unlock” button in the app to unlock the bootloader.
- Once it’s done, you can close the app and your bootloader will now be unlocked.
- NOTE: Again, remember not to accept official OTA updates on the phone or you risk bricking your phone.
The bootloader on your Verizon Galaxy S3 is now unlocked, and you can flash all hacks and custom ROMs without any limitations or unnecessary complicated methods. Enjoy!