Un-root and re-lock Motorola Xoom
Given the freedom and fun rooting unlocks, it’s not strange many Motorola Xoom owners have already rooted their tablet. But those who want to un-root and re-lock it (either or both), can now do so quite easily. One just needs to download the official build HR166 from Motorola’s Dev site and do some Android SDK stuff to make it possible.
Re-locking and un-rooting your android device has its advantages — it basically brings the warranty back since rooted devices may get rejected by the stores of companies and carriers once they spot the superuser icon. If you want to claim something by using the warranty, you need to ReLock and UnRoot to be able to do that otherwise chances are that you simply won’t succeed in warranty claims being accused of tampering with the android device since it’s rooted.
So, here’s how you can ReLock and UnRoot your Motorola Xoom android tablet:
- What you need:
- Rooted Motorola Xoom, of course (to UnRoot it. And ReLock it, if locked)
- Windows PC
- Download the official build HR166 from Motorola’s Dev website (Register there if required) Filename – MZ600_HRI66.zip. Size – 121 MB.
- Make sure you’ve Xoom’s drivers installed.
- Download and Install Android SDK / ADB.
- Extract the above file and copy the extracted files to /platform-tools folder of your android sdk. (Usually, you’ll find it the latest version here – C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
- Connect the Xoom to PC. Do not mount the sd card.
- Open command prompt (cmd) window on PC.
- Type — cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools — and hit enter. This will direct the cmd to platform-tools folder where you’ve transferred the extracted content of build HR166 (in step 3 above)
- Type — adb reboot bootloader — and hit enter. this will boot the Xoom into bootloader mode.
- Once the Xoom is in bootloader mode, type in the following command one at a time (hit enter after entering each command):
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- fastboot erase cache
- The above will bring your Xoom back to stock, and unrooted. If you had it unlocked too, see next step to ReLock it.
- Don’t reboot, remain in bootloader mode and do this:
- Type — fastboot oem lock — and hit enter.
- Wait for menu to appear.
- Press Volume Down key.
- Press Volume Up key.
- The process will begin and may take a minute or two.
- When the above process is finished, Reboot your Xoom and it’s as stock and locked as ever. Enjoy!
Hope that works out wonderfully for you and you enjoy the stock experience to its maximum. You’ve got your warranty back, too!
Via XDA Developers