TeamWin team just released TWRP recovery for the Verizon Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition. The device comes with an unlocked bootloader, unlike its retail brother which comes locked and is hard/impossible to root or flash custom recoveries.
Verizon released the developer edition Galaxy Note 4 only a couple of weeks ago and we already have Root and TWRP recovery for the device. Chainfire, the developer of cf-auto-root released root for the Verizon Galaxy Note 4 dev edition last week.
With TWRP recovery on your Verizon Note 4, you can now install custom ROMs on your device or take nandroid backup. Also, this is TWRP 2.8 which allows you to connect your Note 4 in MTP mode even from recovery. So, as it often happens, you don’t have to reboot your phone to copy a zip file that you want to flash but forgot to transfer on the phone.
TWRP recovery is also theme-able. There are a ton of cool TWRP themes from various third-party party developers that you can flash to change the looks of recovery installed on your phone.
Verizon Galaxy Note 4 TWRP recovery comes in both .zip and Oin flashable .yar file. We don’t have a custom recovery already installed on our Note 4 so we’ll be using the Odin method for flashing TWRP on Verizon Note 4.
Without further ado, let’s see how to install TWRP recovey on your Note 4.
TWRP RECOVERY INFO
icon-download Odin 3.10.0 (951 KB)
File name: Odin_3.10.0.zip
TWRP Recovery (14.5 MB)
File name: openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-trltecan.img.tar
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation occurs requiring you to do a factory reset after rooting, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on your PC.
- Make sure you’re installing this on a Verizon Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition, do NOT try this on any other variant or device from Samsung.
- Extract/Unzip the Odin_3.10.0.zip file on your PC, you’ll get the following file “Odin3 v3.10.0.exe”.
- Double-click/Run the “Odin3 v3.10.0.exe” file start Odin.
- Boot your Galaxy Note 4 into download mode:
- Completely Switch off your Galaxy Note 4
- Press and hold “Volume Down + Home + Power” button together until you see a warning screen appear on your Note 4.
- Press Volume Up to continue and boot into Download mode
└ Check this page for more options to boot into download mode.
- Connect your Verizon Galaxy Note 4 to PC using an authentic USB Cable, we recommend using the original cable that came packed in box with your Note 4.
- As soon as you connect your Note 4 to PC, the Odin window should show an “Added!!” message on the screen. If it doesn’t, then it means you don’t proper drivers for Galaxy Note 3 installed on your PC.
└ Get Galaxy Note 4 drivers from here
- Click the PDA button on Odin and select the openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-trltecan.img.tar file that you downloaded above.
- Now make sure Re-Partition box is unchecked and “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” boxes remain checked, while all other boxes remain unchecked.
- Re-Check the above stop to avoid any errors while flash the TWRP recovery file
- Click “Start”, and wait for a few minutes for the process to finish. Once it’s done, Odin will show you a PASS or RESET message in the small boxes shown in Odin window.
If you see FAIL message instead of the RESET or PASS in Odin’s top left box, that’s a problem. Try this now: disconnect your Galaxy Note 4 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
Also, If device is Stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then too, try this: disconnect your Galaxy Note 4 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
That’s it. TWRP Recovery should now be installed on your Galaxy Note 4.
BOOTING INTO RECOVERY MODE
- Completely Switch off your Galaxy Note 4.
- Press and hold “Volume UP + Home + Power” button together and release them as soon as you see Samsung Galaxy Note 4 logo on the screen.
There are a few more ways to boot into recovery mode, check them out here: → How to Boot into Galaxy Note 4 Recovery Mode.