Even though as odd brother to Galaxy S5 lineup, the advanced Galaxy S5 LTE-A deserves a good treatment when it comes to hacks and well, more hacks. No shocker then, as for the device that is much less known to people outside Korea, or even in Korea, TWRP recovery has just been made available in its latest and greatest version, v188.8.131.52 — oh ok, almost!
This is not an official work of the TWRP team, mind you, but it’s based on that only apparently. And although that isn’t official, it’s still great TWRP recovery users of Galaxy S5 LTE-A can use in Korea.
The Galaxy S5 LTE-A TWRP is a fully functional build, except that MTP might fail — and if it does, you better turn it off in the Mounts menu. Not importantly, brightness bug could be present for those still on KitKat.
Both zip and tar files of the TWRP 184.108.40.206 are available, and we have covered the method that uses tar not because we don’t like zip installation method, but it’s too easy to write an instruction set about.
If you already have a TWRP recovery, then simply download the zip file from here, transfer it to your device, and then flash it using Install menu in your current TWRP recovery. Would work with CWM too. Otherwise, download the tar file from below and then proceed to guide to install the TWRP recovery via its tar file.
- TWRP recovery — Link | File: G906K_TWRP_220.127.116.11_PORT_V2.tar (13.8 MB)
- Odin PC software — Link | File: Odin-3-10-7.zip (1.03 MB)
→ Check the official page here (unavailable as of now) for the newer version of TWRP recovery, if any, which may already have fixed the bugs mentioned above.
- Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A, model no. SM-G906K/L/S
- Don’t try this on regular Galaxy S5 with model no. G900*
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Important: Check your device’s model no. on its packaging box, or in Settings > About device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. Also, this trips KNOX, meaning KNOX would stop working on your device, and thus you won’t be able to Samsung Pay, or install enterprise Apps on your device at Office.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
Step 1. Download Odin and TWRP recovery file from above.
Step 2. Install Galaxy S5 LTE-A driver (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
Step 3. Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.7.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
Disconnect your Galaxy S5 LTE-A from PC if it is connected.
Step 5. Boot Galaxy S5 LTE-A into download mode:
- Power off your Galaxy S5 LTE-A. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Power + Home + Volume down together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
Step 7. Connect your Galaxy S5 LTE-A to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your Galaxy S5 LTE-A. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with the device. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
Step 8. Load the TWRP file into Odin. For this, click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: TWRP-18.104.22.168-Alpha_N920T.tar.md5
Step 10. Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the TWRP on your Galaxy S5 LTE-A. Wait till installation is finished, after which your Galaxy S5 LTE-A will reboot automatically. You’ll getPASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do this all again. Disconnect your device, close Odin, boot device into download mode again, open Odin, and then select the firmware and flash it again as said above.
- If you get FAIL in the top left box, then also you need to flash the firmware again as stated just above.
→ That’s it. Enjoy the TWRP recovery v22.214.171.124 on your Galaxy S5 LTE-A!
Check this page to root Galaxy S5 LTE-A, it’s not at simple as flashing SuperSU file after installing TWRP. You have to install custom kernel using TWRP, and then install the SuperSU app from the play store to root Note 5.
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.