The Oppo Find 5 took the world by surprise by being the first phone with a 1080p display and other top of the line specs, but with an affordable price tag and an international launch not usual for such devices from China-based companies. Naturally, the Android development community took notice, and the popular TWRP recovery was released for it quite quickly.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery that allows one to install custom ROMs and modifications on a device, make other changes such as doing a factory reset, and more. TWRP features a simple to use touch interface along with some advanced features such as a file manager, ability to queue multiple files for installation etc, which has made it extremely popular (specially as an alternative to ClockworkMod recovery, the most used recovery for Android devices).
So if you’re looking to install TWRP recovery on the Find 5 but need a little help, you’ve come to the right place – our all-in-one guide for the Find 5 has easy to understand step-by-step instructions to help you through the procedure to install TWRP, so that you can enter the joyous world of custom ROMs and Android modifications.
However, keep in mind that installing a custom recovery and/or installing a custom ROM and making other changes such as rooting will void the warranty of your phone. There may be ways to flash back to official software later on and restore warranty, but make sure you’re aware of the risks before attempting anything.
Now, let’s see how TWRP recovery can be flashed on the Oppo Find 5.
The procedure described below is only for the Oppo Find 5. Do not try it on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky, so try them out at your own risk, and make sure to read each step carefully before attempting anything. We will not be held responsible if anything goes wrong.
- Download the drivers for the phone. Once downloaded, extract the file using a software like WinRAR to a convenient location on your computer.
- On the phone, go into the Settings » Developer options menu and enable the USB Debugging option.
- Make sure your phone is adequately charged – a minimum of 25% is recommended.
Install TWRP Recovery
- Download Fastboot files, which will be used for flashing the recovery.
Download Fastboot | Filename: Fastboot.zip
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it.
- Download TWRP recovery from the source page. Extract the downloaded file once to obtain the actual recovery file, which should have .img at the end of the file name (if you don’t see .img in the file name, make sure the file is of .IMG type by checking its properties.
- Copy the .img file that you obtained to the Fastboot folder so that you now have a total of 5 files inside.
- Connect your phone to the computer with your USB cable. When Windows asks for drivers, point it to the folder you obtained after extracting the driver files in step 1 of “Requirements” to complete driver installation.
- Now, perform the following steps to flash TWRP recovery.
- Open the Fastboot folder. Here, press and hold down the SHIFT button on your keyboard, then right-click on an empty part of the screen. Then, click on the “Open command window here” option in the right-click menu to open a command prompt window.
- Type in fastboot devices in the command prompt and press Enter. If your phone has been detected properly, you will see a device ID with some random letters and numbers show up in command prompt. If nothing comes up, make sure you have installed the drivers, disconnect phone, remove and re-insert battery, and retry the procedure from step 5.
- Reboot your phone into bootloader mode by entering adb reboot bootloader in the command prompt. Wait for phone to reboot into bootloader mode.
- Then, flash TWRP recovery on the phone by entering fastboot flash recovery filename.img, where filename is to be replaced by the name of the recovery file.
- After the recovery is flashed, you’ll get a finished/OKAY message in command prompt. Now, type in fastboot reboot in the command prompt to reboot your phone back into Android.
- You can now disconnect your phone and close the command prompt.
- TWRP recovery is now flashed on your Oppo Find 5. Make sure to read the “Booting into TWRP Recovery” section below to find out how you can boot into TWRP when needed.
Booting into TWRP Recovery
Whenever you want to use TWRP recovery, you can boot into it by the following procedure.
- Turn off the phone.
- Then, press and hold down the Volume Down + Power keys together for about 10 seconds, after which the phone will boot into TWRP recovery.
- Rebooting back into Android from TWRP recovery can be done by selecting the Reboot » System option in the main menu of TWRP.
TWRP recovery is now installed on your Oppo Find 5, and you will be able to flash custom ROMs, hacks, kernels, take backups of and restore ROMs, and make other modifications such as factory resetting the device. If you run into any problems, let us know in the comments and we’ll help you out.