TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) is a custom recovery for Android devices and provides a touch-enabled recovery with a graphical interface, and with other useful features such as the ability to queue zips for installation, a lockscreen to prevent accidental button presses, faster ROM backup and restore, and more. It’s an alternative to the ever popular ClockworkMod recovery for installing custom ROMs, and is now available for the HTC Evo 4G LTE.
To install TWRP recovery on your HTC Evo 4G LTE, simply follow the step-by-step procedure detailed below. Be sure to read everything carefully.
This guide is applicable only for HTC EVO 4G LTE. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on HTC Evo 4G LTE
- Unlock the bootloader on your Evo 4G LTE. Use the bootloader unlocking guide for the HTC One X → here, as the procedure is same for both devices.
- Root your Evo 4G LTE by following the guide → here.
- Download the recovery from the official development page. Download the .img file under the Download – ADB / Terminal method section.
- Copy the downloaded .img file to the internal SD card on the phone. Copy it directly to SD card, don’t put it inside any folder on the SD card.
- Install the Android Terminal Emulator app on your Evo 4G LTE from the Play Store/Android Market (search for android terminal emulator).
- Run Terminal Emulator app on your phone.
- Now, type su and press enter. Then, press the Allow (or Grant) button when asked to do so. This will grant root access to Terminal Emulator.
- Then, type the following command and press enter:
dd if=/sdcard/*.*.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
replace *.* with the name of the file downloaded in step 3.
- After recovery is flashed, you can type reboot recovery to reboot into ClockworkMod recovery and try it out. In recovery, you can use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select items, if the touchscreen doesn’t work.
TWRP recovery is now installed on your HTC Evo 4G LTE, which you can use to flash custom ROMs and hacks. Do let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.