Touch Clockworkmod Recovery for AT&T Skyrocket, too!
After hitting the Nexus S, and its successor — the Galaxy Nexus, ClockworkMod touch-based recovery, now makes it’s way to the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, a.k.a the AT&T Skyrocket.
XDA member sk8erwitskil has managed to port the touch recovery from the Galaxy Nexus to the Skyrocket, to a point, where it can be released as a beta version. Initial tests by early adopters (read testers) indicate that it is working fine, and they were able to perform the usual flashes without any hiccups. It may be worthwhile to be informed, that this a “fakeflash” version, which means that it doesn’t actually replace the regular recovery on your phone and allows you to use it without affecting the original CWMR you have on your device — so a good option for testing it out, till the dev releases a stable version with all bugs addressed.
Here’s how you can try out this new recovery on your Skyrocket:
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This recovery image and the guide below is compatible only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket-Model # SGH-I727. Please do not attempt to flash it on an incompatible device, as it could cause damage to your device and brick it. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About device.
→ Touch CWM Skyrocket Filename: cwmrt5504.zip | Size: 1.7 MB
- Rooted Skyrocket with Clockworkmod recovery installed
- Fully charged battery
How To Install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery Beta on the AT&T Skyrocket
- Download the ‘cwmrt5504.zip’ file (link provided above) to your PC
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of internal sd card on your phone, via USB cable
- Power off the phone, and reboot to recovery
- In recovery, perform a full backup of your existing ROM, by first Selecting Backup & restore, and then Backup on the next screen. This is a precautionary measure, so that you can revert to your earlier setup, in case something goes wrong with the current installation
- Now scroll to ‘Install zip from sd card’ and select it.
- On the next screen, Select ‘Choose zip from sd card’ , and then select the ‘cwmrt5504.zip’ file you transferred to the sd card in Step 2. This will start installation of the new touch CWM recovery.
- After the installation is complete, the phone will boot directly into the new recovery. The colors may look a little wonky, but the recovery is fully functional.
- At this point, You can test the new CWM touch-recovery by trying a backup, or installing a custom ROM. If you reboot recovery, the phone will go back to the original Clockworkmod recovery
Go ahead and try it out. There’s no harm done to your existing custom recovery, and you get to test the brand new Clockworkmod Touch recovery. If I had a Skyrocket, I would be swiping through recovery now. You can also visit the original development thread for more details and feedback. And don’t forget to let us know your experience with this new tool, in comments below..