Touch Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) for HTC Desire is Out, Too!
After making it’s way to the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus S & the Motorola Atrix 4G, Developer Koush’s Touch-based Clockworkmod recovery has now landed on one of the most popular devices of 2010, a developer favorite, and the HTC branded cousin of the original Nexus One, the HTC Desire.
XDA member Yorzua has released a version of the CWM Touch Recovery for the HTC Desire this week. When I think about it, this could really be the next big thing as far as custom recoveries go, as it takes away the stress that the Power and volume rocker buttons go through, especially at the hands of obsessively compulsive ROM and kernel flashers like your’s truly! Plus, it’s time CWM Recovery went through a ‘coolness’ makeover, from it’s otherwise industrial look.
Anyways, here’s how you can get CWM Recovery Touch, up and running on your Desire.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This custom recovery and the guide below is specifically developed for the HTC Desireonly . It’s not compatible with any other device and may render the device unusable. Check your device model in: Settings » About phone
CWM Touch Recovery Filename: recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-bravo.img.7z | Size: 3.2 MB
- Rooted HTC Desire with ClockworkMod recovery installed
- Fully Charged Battery
- ADB and Fastboot support, along with the relevant device drivers on your PC . You can use this guide to automatically install ADB, as well as the right drivers for ADB and fastboot support
How To Install CWM Recovery Touch on HTC Desire
- Download the CWM recovery zip file (Link provided above) to your PC
- Extract the Recovery image to your desktop, using 7-zip or WinRAR. Rename the file to ‘recovery.img‘ (This is just to make it easier to type in while flashing through fastboot)
- Now copy the ‘recovery.img‘ file to the folder where fastboot.exe is located on your PC. If you have installed ADB using the method provided above, the path to this folder should be– C:Usersusernameknives-and-forksbinwindowsandroid ; If you have installed ADB the traditional way, then the path is likely to be- C:android-sdk-windowstools
- Make sure the ‘Fast Boot‘ option on your desire is disabled. You can do that by going to Settings–>Power–> Fast Boot; Make sure it is unchecked.
- Now power off the phone. Wait for 45 to 60 seconds so that it is completely powered off
- Now reboot to fastboot mode. (Hold the volume down button and press the power button. After a few seconds your phone will boot into a screen that gives you several options, including fastboot and recovery. Select the fastboot option–(This is usually the default option and will be highlighted in blue, just press the Power button to select it)
- Now you are in Fastboot mode. Connect the Desire to your PC via USB cable.
- On your PC, go to the folder where fastboot.exe is located (Check path in Step 3). While holding the shift key down on your PC keyboard, right click inside the folder, and Select “Open Command Window Here“.
- This should open up a command prompt window or DOS prompt.
- Now type in the following command in the DOS window
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Press Enter
- This will initiate the flashing of the new recovery to your device.
- Once the flashing is complete, select ‘Bootloader’ in the main hboot menu, and then scroll to Recovery and select it using the Power button
- Your phone should ow reboot into the new Clockworkmod Touch Recovery.
- That’s it! You’re done–Enjoy the new touch-based Clockworkmod Recovery and give your volume buttons and Power button some rest!
You can visit the original development thread for more details, and to see what other users are experiencing with this new recovery. And if you face any issues while flashing, or want to share your thoughts with us, don’t hesitate to give us a hoot in comments below.