Temporary Root for Incredible S now Available. Permanent Root coming soon?
Rooting an android phone unlocks incredible features which many of us are quite used too and although it results in voiding the warranty, it’s completely worth for those it’s worth. The recently launched HTC phone, the Incredible S has finally got a root, although it’s temporary. The root method has been developed by an XDA member, jrywu, and this temp root will grant root-based apps root access till phone is rebooted. Once rebooted you’ll have to redo the last 3 steps of the root process given below.
Before taking on the root process, let’s see how this root process works, in developer’s own words:
Psneuter exploit is working on IS, but because /system is locked on s-on phones, we can’t copy su and superuser.apk into /system, apps required root access can’t work.
The following procedure uses psenuter exploit to gain adb shell root, and then copy su (without privilege control ) and busybox into /sbin (which is on rootfs and in the global PATH list) to gain root access for apps.
Now, How to temporary root Incredible S:
- Download and Install ADB
- Enable USB Debugging on phone. For this, press menu – settings – applications – development. Tick the “USB Debugging” and press OK on the warning that pops up.
- Download the Temporary Root file. Unzip it and save on any convenient location, like c:adb
- Connect your phone to PC now.
- Open command prompt. On windows 7, press windows icon on keyboard and type cmd. Select cmd from the search results.
- On the command prompt, use CD command to select the directory in which you unzipped the temporary root file. If you used c:adb (from step 3), type this command in cmd screen — cd c:adb — and press Enter.
- Now type — pushroot — and hit enter. This will run pushroot.bat file.
- Type — adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot — and press enter.
- Type — adb shell — and press enter.
- You are now in # prompt. Type /data/local/tmp/pushroot
- Your phone is rooted temporary — that is, until your phone restarts — and you can run your fav apps. That’s only until rebooting the phone, upon which, you’ll have to redo the last 3 steps — 8, 9 and 10 — after connecting your phone to PC with USB debugging On.
- That’s it.
Apps tested to be working with this temp root include Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, gscript lite, trasproxy 2.04, etc. let us know what root apps wok for you — would help other users!
For more info and to report bugs or just check user views and reviews, check out the official development thread here.
Permanent Root must be coming soon, right?
We know your wish for the permanent root is still burning hard, but we can’t help but wait until some brilliant minds find the permanent root for the Incredible S — which I think isn’t very far