There’s a new fad in town folks — experiencing the tablet-like interface as seen on Android tablets on a phone. FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (long name, I know) is a CM9 based Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM that lets you experience a full tablet oriented interface on the 4.5″ screen for a unique look and feel.
However, the ROM is in its early development stages, so there are quite a lot of issues in it for now. Go through them before attempting to install the ROM.
Known Issues (Quoted from developer)
- CPU Governor MUST BE CHANGED. Use SystemTUNER to change to preferred governor. CM settings force it stuck in performance mode. Use system tuner to change to something you’d prefer, unless you LOVE battery drain and cpu being pegged
- SD Card mounting via USB [Can be done in CWM]
- Graphical Overlay Issues
- No Camera
- On boot, you may get a pop-up asking for “SIM network unlock PIN”. Just press Cancel.
- Use only 2G networks does not work
Read on to find out how you can install FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
ROM Developer → starskyrob
How to Install FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the Clockworkmod Touch recovery on the phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 3 to the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select backup and restore, then on the next screen, select backup again. Restore your backup using the restore option when needed. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select mounts and storage, then:
- Select format system and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- Select format data and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- Select format cache and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- After completing step 7, go back to the main recovery menu by selecting go back.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- Once the phone boots up and you complete the basic setup, go into Settings » System and adjust the font size to your liking.
The FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM is now installed on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Visit the official development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.