Here’s another Jelly Bean Android 4.1 based custom ROM for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3, which has already seen a few Jelly Bean ROMs before. This time it’s none other than AOKP ROM, a famous custom ROM that includes a pure and fast Android experience with a lot of customization options thrown into the mix to make it one of the most desirable custom ROMs available for Android.
Of course, all the Jelly Bean features and improvements are here as well, including a butter smooth interface, overhauled and actionable notifications, smarter keyboard, Google’s voice recognition assisted Search as well as information cards based Google Now, and many more improvements and under the hood tweaks, which combined with AOKP give you a great experience.
Keep in mind that the ROM may not be completely bug-free as it is not an official Samsung Jelly Bean ROM, so some things may not work the same as they work normally and Samsung specific features will not be available.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean can be installed on the T-Mobile Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S3, model number T999. It’s not compatible with other US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean AOKP ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into ParanoidAndroid ROM.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Try out other Jelly Bean ROMs for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 → here.