Wow, not more than a day passed after the leak of an official Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware for the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, and XDA developer Racing19969 has ported it over to the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 already! That’s right. You can install the leaked ICS firmware for the Skyrocket on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2, to get a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich without having to wait for the official update.
The ROM seems to be working almost perfectly, with just a few known bugs and issues, and is completely stable for everyday use. As always, we have a full step by step guide for you to follow.
Read on to find out how you can install Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. It’s not compatible with any other device, including other US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, and AT&T Galaxy S2 along with Skyrocket. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → Racing19969
- Auto rotate not working correctly. Temp Fix: Shut off auto rotate in settings or use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d…d.barshortcuts
- Shutdown not working correctly. Temp Fix: Pull Battery or use adb reboot
- Important! A T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. You can install CWM recovery by following the guide → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Ice Cream Sandwich on T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the zip file downloaded in step 1 to the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Restore your backup using the restore option when needed. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- Important! Wait for about 10 minutes for the phone to boot up the first time. After the phone boots for the first time, press Cancel at the ATT Ready To Go screen. Then finish setting up your phone.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 with the port of the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket ICS leak. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.