Another day, and AOKP ROM gets ported to another device. At this rate, AOKP might go on to become the most famous custom ROM out there and might even replace Cyanogenmod (okay, so that’s a little too much to hope for). The T-Mobile G2x has also received a port of AOKP ROM, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0, which brings speed, performance and a plethora of customization options to your G2x.
The ROM is a test build and hence not to be considered stable, as it may have a few bugs and issues present in the ROM. It is in the early stages of development. The procedure below will guide you through the installation steps of the ROM, so read on.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the T-Mobile G2x, model number P999. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → Whitehawkx
- If it doesn’t find data/mobile network try to search for network in settings and/or enter APN manually.
- Rooted T-Mobile G2x with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP ROM on T-Mobile G2x
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Download the Google Apps package (this is required since the ROM itself doesn’t contain Google apps like Market, Talk, etc).
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
- Transfer the zip files downloaded in step 1 and step 2 to the root of the external micro SD card on your phone.
- Turn off your phone and wait for complete shutdown.
- Boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. Hold Volume Down & the Power button until the device boots to the recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Now, perform a full wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD card). Wait for wipe to complete.
- Select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. Then, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “Install zip from ‘External SD Card’”.
- Scroll to the ROM file you transferred in step 2 and select it. Select “Yes –Install *rom_name*.zip” on the next screen to confirm installation.
- After the ROM finishes installing, again select “Install zip from ‘External SD Card’”, then scroll to the Google apps package file you downloaded in step 2. Select “Yes – Install gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip” on the next screen to confirm installation of the Google apps.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM.
That’s it. AOKP ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is now running on your T-Mobile G2x. Follow the development page to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on this ROM in the comments below.