There’s a new Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4 out for the HTC Sensation, called Sharpy STRPT CM9 ROM. The ROM has been stripped down quite a lot resulting in a very small 75 MB footprint. Many default apps like Messaging/SMS, Gallery, etc have been removed from the ROM.
The developer has even gone as far as removing all the ringtones and notification tones from the ROM which all add up to the extremely small size of the ROM. The removed system apps mean that you will need to download alternative apps from the Android Market such as messaging and gallery apps to be able to use those functions.
Do note that the ROM is currently labelled as a work in progress, so a few bugs are present in the ROM, and new ones can crop up at any time. Read on to find out how to flash the ROM on your HTC Sensation.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → dansharpy
Known Issues →
- Bluetooth- not working at the moment
- Video camera- doesn’t record
- Rooted HTC Sensation with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- [Important] Firmware version 3.30. You can use this guide to obtain it.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Sharpy STRPT CM9 on HTC Sensation
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install Market and Gmail which are not present in the actual ROM. Other Google apps can be downloaded from the Market.
Download Link | Filename: STRPT_Gapps_gmail_mkt.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of your SD card on the HTC Sensation.
- Turn off the phone.
- Start Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe:
- Select “wipe data / factory reset –> confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache –> confirm Wipe Dalvik on the next screen. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard (from step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, again select “choose zip from sdcard”, then scroll to the Google apps package file you downloaded in step 2. Select “Yes – Install STRPT_Gapps_gmail_mkt.zip” on the next screen to confirm installation of the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up.
The ROM is now installed on your HTC Sensation and ready to be used. Follow the development page to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.