Sprint Galaxy S5 Android 5.0.2 update G900PVPU3BOF6: direct download link and install instructions
If you were looking to download the full firmware of Sprint S5 5.0.2 update because you didn’t get notification for OTA, or simply couldn’t download it, or if OTA installation failed for you. Most likely scenario is that if you ever rooted your device, or made an modification to system partition, then it’s likely 5.0.2 OTA simply won’t install on your Sprint S5.
So, you need a method other than OTA to install the 5.0.2 update on your Sprint S5. Which is, downloading the full firmware, and then flashing it using ever-trusted Odin PC software. This updates your device to the 5.0.2, and removes root and/or any custom recovery installation from your device. It’s pretty easy to follow too, and you don’t need to prepare for anything – simply install the Samsung drivers linked in the guide below, and you will be good for this. Credit for the Odin flashable TAR file goes to Robalboa, thanks a lot!
How to update Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 5.0.2 update using Odin
- 5.0.2 firmware G900PVPU3BOF6 | File: G900PVPU3BOF6_G900PSPT3BOF6_SPR.zip (1.44 GB)
- Odin PC software | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 model no. G900P
- Don’t try this on any other Samsung Galaxy S5 device than model no. G900P
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Disclamer: Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
- Download the Odin software and firmware file from above.
- Install Galaxy S5 drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Extract the firmware file now. You can use a free software like 7-zip for this. Install 7-zip, then right click on firmware file and under 7-zip, select ‘Extract here’.
- You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now (G900PVPU3BOF6_G900PSPT3BOF6_G900PVPU3BOF6_HOME.tar.md5). We will be loading this file into Odin, to be installed on your Sprint S5 (in step 10 below).
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your Sprint S5 from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Sprint Galaxy S5 into download mode:
- Power off your S5. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extract file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Sprint S5 to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your device. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with phone. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the firmware file into Odin (that you got in step 4 above). Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: G900PVPU3BOF6_G900PSPT3BOF6_G900PVPU3BOF6_HOME.tar.md5
- Make sure Re-partition checkbox is NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Sprint S5. Wait till installation is finished, after which your S5 will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 6 to 12 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S5, remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 6 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- First start of the device may take time, so wait patiently again. Check the Settings > About phone to confirm new firmware.
That’s it. Enjoy the G900PVPU3BOF6 Sprint S5 5.0.2 firmware, also called OF6 in short!
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.