Sprint Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update: L710SPRBLIF [Leak]
It started with the international Galaxy S3, which got a lot of official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware leaks (which has since been updated to Jelly Bean officially by Samsung), and even the T-Mobile and Bell Galaxy S3 saw the leak of official Android 4.1 firmware updates. Now it’s apparently the turn of the Sprint Galaxy S3 to enjoy some official Jelly Bean update leaks.
“Owners of the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 can try out the leaked Jelly Bean firmware → here. Bell Galaxy S3 (i747M) owners can try out the leaked Jelly Bean update → here. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Jelly Bean leak can be found → here, while Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 leak can be found → here.”
XDA Recognized Developer freeza has gotten his hands on an official Samsung Jelly Bean firmware – L710SPRBLIF – and rooted it and released it for everyone, so people can get a taste of the official Android 4.1 firmware on their Sprint Galaxy S3 before Samsung starts rolling it out over the air. The guide below will help you install the firmware with step-by-step instructions.
However, considering this is a leaked pre-release update and is not being officially rolled out by Sprint/Samsung, it may have issues and some things might not work properly. It might not be stable enough for every day use, so if you aren’t comfortable with trying leaked pre-release firmware, you should wait for the official update.
Let’s take a look at how the Android 4.1 L710SPRBLIF firmware can be installed on the Sprint Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy S3, model number SPH-L710. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for Sprint variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install L710SPRBLIF Android 4.1 Firmware on Sprint Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here. Skip this step if you already have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the phone.
- Download the ROM from the source page. Be sure to download the “DeOdex” version of the ROM.
- Download the modem package, which is needed to install the modem for the L710SPRBLIF firmware.
Download Modem | Filename: Galaxy-S-fre3-LIFFirmwareModemAIO.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Galaxy-S-fre3-LIFFirmwareModemAIO.zip file to install the modem.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into the L710SPRBLIF Android 4.1 firmware.
NOTE: If you want to go back to a stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM after flashing this ROM, you can use this guide to do so.
The leaked official Android 4.1 L710SPRBLIF firmware is now installed on your Sprint Galaxy S3. Do let us know how it works!