The Asus Transformer Prime was recently updated to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), and we’re sure many have already updated to ICS with either the official update or by means of custom ROMs. Sparky Root App is an app by XDA member sparkym3 that will let you root your Transformer Prime running on a stock official ICS firmware.
Read on to find out how to root your Transformer Prime TF201 running Ice Cream Sandwich.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Transformer Prime, model number TF201. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Your Transformer Prime must be running on an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 firmware. You can update to Ice Cream Sandwich using the guide posted → here.
How to Root ICS on Transformer Prime using Sparky Root App
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled. Go to Settings » Development options, and tick the USB Debugging option.
- Download and install the app on your Prime by getting it from the original development page.
- Run the app on your Prime.
- Click “Step 1 Exploit”.
- Press the Home button to go to the home screen, then manually open up the ASUS App Backup tool and backup an app (make sure you do not close the root app by pressing the back key, it needs to be running in the background).
- Return to the Sparky Root app and click “Step 3 Install SuperUser” (will install the SuperUser app).
- Click “Step 4 Cleanup”.
- Your tablet is now rooted, and you can close Sparky Root app.
That’s it, you now have a rooted stock ICS firmware running on your Asus Transformer Prime, thanks to this useful root app. Share your thoughts on how the app works out for you, in the comments below.