The Xperia UI found on Sony phones is quite attractive, and also has some very useful widgets and apps. Now, Galaxy S2 owners can get their phones to look like the Xperia UI as well, thanks to XperienS2 ROM. Developed by XDA Senior Member tazlooney89, XperienS2 is themed to look like the Sony Xperia UI, with extensive theming of almost every aspect of the ROM, along with a few other things found on Xperia phones.
The ROM contains the following Xperia goodies:
- Xperia Launcher
- Xperia Sounds
- Xperia Bootanimation
- Xperia Widgets
- Bravia & xLoud Engine (for better picture quality and sound volume)
Underneath, the ROM is based on CM9 (Android 4.1 Ice Cream Sandwich), so you also get fast performance and customization options found in CyanogenMod ROMs, along with the Xperia UI look and experience.
So, let’s take a look at how XperienS2 ROM can be installed on the Galaxy S2 i9100.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number I9100. It’s not compatible with the I9100G or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install XperienS2 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here. If you are already on a custom ROM like CM9/CM10/AOKP, you can skip this step.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here. Skip if you already have ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Download Siyah kernel, which is the recommended kernel to be used with this ROM.
Download Siyah kernel
- Copy the 3 downloaded zip files from step 4, 5 and 6 to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation of Gapps completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Siyah kernel file to install the Siyah kernel. The phone might reboot into recovery after install is complete, which is normal.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into XperienS2 ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
NOTE: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above, or flash to the latest Android 4.0.4 Samsung ROM by following this guide.
XperienS2 ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.