One of the most touted features on recent high-end Sony Ericsson Android phones is the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine that provides image quality enhancements in photos and videos by enhancing sharpness, contrast and saturation, while also applying noise reduction. And soon the modding and hacking community realized that the Bravia engine enhancements could be used on non-Sony Ericsson Android phones as well, which led to the engine being ported to other phones unofficially.
HTC Wildfire owners can apply the Bravia engine enhancements to their phones as well, thanks to this hack by XDA member jamal2367. It sure makes a noticeable difference in the image quality. Do note that this is a post-processing engine, so you can only see the differences on your phone’s screen. It doesn’t actually make any changes to the original images itself.
This hack and the guide below is compatible only and only with the HTC Wildfire. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- A rooted HTC Wildfire running Android 2.2/2.3+.
- At least 5 MB space free on the system partition on the phone.
Step by Step Procedure
- Download the Sony Bravia Engine File Pack from the original development page
Filename: Sony_Bravia_Engine_-_Wildfire-v2.zip | Size: 1.5 KB
- Extract the downloaded file to get the following files and folders:
- A folder named ‘system’ with another folder named ‘ect’ inside.
- A text file named ‘Edit this in Build.prop.txt’.
- Now, copy the two files named ‘be_movie’ and ‘be_photo’ from the ect folder (from step 2.1) to the ‘/system/etc’ folder on your phone. Use a root enabled file explorer like Root Browser Lite for this.
- The next step is to edit the build.prop file in /system folder on your phone. Assuming you are using Root Browser Lite, navigate to /system, click on the file named ‘build.prop’, then select Edit.
- Open the text file ‘Edit this in Build.prop.txt’ on your computer (from step 2.2), then manually enter the same text from this file at the end of the build.prop file on your phone.
- Then click the Save button to save the edited build.prop file.
- Reboot the phone and then enjoy the Bravia engine image enhancements on your HTC Wildfire.
The quality of the photos and videos on your HTC Wildfire should improve as a result of this, thanks to the Bravia engine working its magic. Share your thoughts and experience on this in the comments below.