Slim ICS for Galaxy S2 is Definitely a Cool ICS ROM to Try
There are quite a few Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 based custom ROMs out there for the Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100, but it becomes harder and harder to tell them apart as they are usually the same ROMs with a few minor differences. Slim ICS ROM differentiates itself by being very slim and stripped down to come up at a small 75 MB size, by removing a few default apps found in other ICS ROMs.
Here’s a look at some of the highlights of the ROM:
- 5 Languages ( en ( us, uk), fr, it, de, es) No additional language will be added.
- Zeam Launcher ( stock ICS launcher provided in add-on package)
- Basic Google Stuff Included ( 4.0.4 Gmail,Talk, Calendar and Contacts sync)
- Market 3.4.4
- Team Hacksung/CM9 Kernel
- Easy to customize.
- 182 DPI ( use 240 for any incompatible apps or check here for Market workaround)
Read on to find out how you can install Slim ICS ROM on your Galaxy S2 i9100.
This procedure is compatible only and only with Samsung Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
Read everything carefully and thoroughly. The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → krarvind
- Video Camera natively
- SD card doesn’t pop up in pc, adb works, check this post
- Anything that doesn’t work with CM9
- You tell me
- A rooted Galaxy S2 i9100 with ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps and data (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry). So backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure your Galaxy S2 is sufficiently charged, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Slim ICS ROM on Galaxy S2
- Important! Flash an AOSP based ICS ROM like CM9 or AOKP ROM on your phone. You must already be on a ROM like CM9/any other AOSP based ICS ROM before flashing Slim ICS.
CM9 Guide → Here.
- Download the following files:
- Transfer the zip files you downloaded above to your internal sdcard (not the external micro SD).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP+Home+Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”. Then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. (This will not touch your SD cards so don’t worry).
- Select “mounts and storage”, then select “format system”. Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Go back to main recovery menu after system format is complete.
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Then, browse to the Base ROM file (from step 2.1) and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
- After installation is complete, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Repeat step 6, but this time select the Essentials package file Slim_ICS_2.8_I9100_Essentials.zip (from step 2.2). Confirm installation on next screen by selecting “Yes — Install Slim_ICS_2.8_I9100_Essentials.zip”.
- After installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone and boot into Slim ICS ROM.
- Important! If on booting you see black home screen, press menu key » preferences » customize Zeam Launcher.
That’s it. Slim ICS ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 i9100. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.