It seems the Samsung Vibrant is not gonna stop short until it matches the Galaxy S in the number of custom Jelly Bean ROMs for it, and it just got closer to that goal as a new Jelly Bean ROM has been released for the Vibrant – Slim Bean ROM.
Slim Bean is a series of custom ROMs that brings along a lighter and smaller sized Jelly Bean ROM to many devices, and it has now arrived on the Samsung Vibrant. Slim Bean is a trimmed down ROM and comes up at a small size of around 80-90 MB, and is mostly completely stock Jelly Bean but pre-rooted, has a custom home launcher, includes a few customization options from CM10/AOKP and also features a smaller DPI value for higher density of text for a sharper look. Keep in mind that Jelly Bean for the Samsung Vibrant is under development and may have a few bugs and issues present, as well a thing or two that might not work properly.
Let’s look at how Slim Bean can be installed on the Samsung Vibrant.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Vibrant, model number T959. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Slim Bean ROM on Samsung Vibrant
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Download the ROM. You need to download the following files:
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 3 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your Vibrant and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, perform the following steps:
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the T959.zip file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone might reboot in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it doesn’t resume installing automatically, perform step 8.1 again.
- After installation of the ROM is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Common_2.x.zip file to install the common files package.
- After installation of the two files is complete, go back to the main recovery menu. Then, select advanced, then select Fix permissions. Then, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Slim Bean ROM.
Slim Bean ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Vibrant. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.