Sense 4.0 and Android 4.0.3 Based Custom ROM for HTC Sensation — Virtuous S4X
This is what we love about the Android developer community. HTC’s much awaited Sense 4.0 UI is to launch on its forthcoming handsets, which are expected to be unveiled in the Mobile World Congress later this week. But thanks to a leaked firmware for the yet-to-be-released HTC Endeavor, a custom ROM based on Sense 4.0 has already made it’s way to the HTC Sensation.
Virtuous S4X is released by XDA developer m-deejay from Team VirtuousROM, and is based on Ice Cream Sandwich, sporting the awesome looking HTC Sense UI. Keep in mind though, that this is an experimental build, based on the leaked firmware for a yet to be released handset. So it is possible that you may come across bugs here and there. But definitely worth trying out, to check out what Sense 4.0 feels like on your Sensation.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → m-deejay (Team Virtuous)
- Based on the leaked Endeavour test ROM (0.96.401.2).
- Resized for qHD (960×540) displays, using a purpose built tool to modify HTC’s proprietary m10 binaries, developed by Flemmard and Diamondback.
- Heavily optimized for fluid performance and usability.
- Overclocked kernels with numerous additional kernel modules. (For Evo 3D only)
- Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed
- HTC EVO 3D GSM (HTC Shooter_U)
- HTC Sensation (HTC Pyramid)
- You must complete a full wipe prior to installing this ROM the first time. We also recommend wiping between upgrades, but you are welcome to try upgrading without a wipe. However, no support will be provided if you file a bug without having wiped prior to submission.
Bugs and Errors
- To ease the process of reporting bugs to the team, we made a public bugtracker where you can report the bugs you found. Please make sure you read all the existing entries there to avoid doubling the errors.
- Rooted HTC Sensation with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Virtuous S4X on HTC Sensation
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 to the root of your external SD card on the HTC Sensation.
- Turn off the phone and reboot into recovery by by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe as follows
- Select Mounts and Storage » Format System » Yes-Format System
- Select Format Data » Yes – Format Data
- Select Format Cache » Yes – Format Cache
- Go back to the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » Yes – Wipe Dalvik .
- Now select “Install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard (from step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- First Reboot may take longer than usual. This is normal, so be patient.
- Once your phone has rebooted, leave it alone for at least 10 minutes, so that the OS settles down. Do not touch anything.
- Ater 10-15 minutes, proceed to set up your device, and enjoy Virtuous S4X ROM with Sense 4.0
Visit the official development page linked above to download updates and add-ons, check out more detailed information and to submit bugs that you may come across. Go ahead and try out this Sensational Custom Rom, and tell us about the Sense 4.0 experience in comments below.