Jelly Bean MIUI for HTC Sensation [Android 4.1]
The HTC Sensation has already gotten ports of two of the most famous custom ROMs based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean – AOKP and CM10 – and now another one has arrived on the first dual-core device of HTC’s.
This time it’s Jelly Bean based MIUI ROM (by XDA Recognized Contributor smokin901), a custom ROM with a unique interface and with other features such as an intuitive status bar, its own home-brewed apps such as a home launcher, music, contacts, messages etc, privacy protection, inbuilt themes manager (with scores of fan-made themes available) and further under the hood tweaks for one of the best and unique experiences on Android.
The ROM is not an official HTC ROM but a custom ROM, and is currently under development so it may have a few bugs or issues present. The following things currently work/do not work in the ROM (quoted from the developer):
- Front Camera
- You tell me
- Calls & data
- Hardware acceleration (videos need s/w decoder at moment)
- button lights
- Notification led
- Voice input (GNow)
- Video playback
- WiFi hotspot
Continue reading to find out how MIUI ROM based on Jelly Bean can be installed on the HTC Sensation.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean MIUI ROM on HTC Sensation
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- [Important] Your HTC Sensation must have S-Off and its bootloader must be unlocked. You can unlock the bootloader on the phone officially → here. Also, make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone. You can use this guide to install ClockworkMod recovery if needed.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select items.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into MIUI ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
(NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.)
MIUI ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your HTC Sensation. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.