Samsung Vibrant Ice Cream Sandwich Based AOKP ROM — Install Instructions
The Samsung Vibrant seems to be getting a lot of custom Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 ROMs lately and they just seem to keep on coming. XDA developer Romanbb along with more devs, have just released a brand new AOKP ICS ROM for the T-mobile Vibrant. AOKP ROMs bring a combination of smooth performance and a plethora of customization options which ensure you can set your phone up the way you want it. We had published an article a few days ago on ICS Euphoria, another AOKP based ROM for the Vibrant, and we’re glad there are more coming out as the days go by.
Without too much ado, read on to find out how you can get this brand new ICS ROM running on your Vibrant.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Samsung Vibrant, model number SGH-T959. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → Romanbb
mute/unmute probably exists
gps probably doesn’t work
Check the FAQ posted by Brainfire for more information on bug-fixes
- Rooted Samsung Vibrant with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SDcards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP Vibrantmtd ROM
- Download the AOKP vibrantmtd ROM and Gapps package files from the official development page.
- Transfer both zip files(vibrantmrd ROM and Gapps) to the root of internal sdcard on your Vibrant
- Power off the phone and reboot to Clockworkmod Recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Volume Down, & the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Once in recovery, Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe as follows
- Select Mounts and Storage » Format System » Yes-Format System
- Select Format Data » Yes – Format Data
- Select Format Cache » Yes – Format Cache
- Go back to the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » Yes – Wipe Dalvik .
- Now select “Install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the aokp_vibrantmtd_build-25.zip file on the sdcard (transferred in step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install “aokp_vibrantmtd_build-25.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- Once the ROM installation is complete, Repeat Steps 6 & 7, but this time select the Gapps package file “gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip” in Step 7
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” and then select “Reboot system now” to reboot into the ROM.
Wait for a few minutes to let your Vibrant boot up, and give the ROM about 10 minutes to settle down. After 10 minutes proceed to set up your device, and enjoy AOKP Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Vibrant. Visit the official development page to check for updates, bug-fixes and other detailed information. Try the ROM out, and tell us how you are liking Ice Cream Sandwich in comments below.