AOKP ROM, which has been getting ported to a lot of devices lately, has now made it to the mighty phablet, the Samsung Galaxy Note. AOKP is an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 based ROM that brings you speed, better performance and customization options on your Galaxy Note. XDA modder eaglerazor123 has ported the ROM from the official AOKP sources and based it on imilka AOSP ICS ROM for the Galaxy Note, which we covered here.
The ROM is in beta stage, so do expect bugs and issues to be present. As the ROM is based on imilka ROM, it has the same bugs as imilka ROM, along with a few bugs of its own. So proceed with caution if you decide to try this ROM.
Read on to find out how you can flash AOKP ROM on your Galaxy Note.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with Galaxy Note, model number N7000. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
Developer → eaglerazor123
- MAJOR: Video recording (camcorder) doesn’t work (videos are not saved). Camera (taking pictures) working properly.
- MAJOR: USB File transfer (MTP) doesn’t work.
- MINOR: First SMS Message is reported as not sent. It is NOT TRUE – first message sends correctly. This is just some false report.
- MINOR: Sometimes Wi-Fi can’t be re-enabled – that means sometimes you can’t turn wi-fi on after you’ve turned it off. Reboot fixes that.
- Toggles disappear sometimes
- NOTE: If you’ll reboot your device it will reboot TWICE and dalvik-cache will be cleared. This is temporary (and very stupid, but it works) workaround for some problem. It doesn’t affect any functionality, but does affect boot time. Will be fixed ASAP too.
- Important! You must be running ICS firmware i9220LP1 on your Galaxy Note and have Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Galaxy Note:
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the file downloaded in step 1 to your internal sdcard (NOT the external micro SD).
- Turn off your phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery (CWM).
- Using the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select, select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard from step 2 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
- NOTE: If the phone is stuck at the first boot, reboot the phone by holding down the power button till it reboots. The ROM should boot after this.
That’s it! AOKP ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Note. Follow the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.