You cannot expect the official Android 5.1 update from Samsung for Galaxy Note 4 anytime soon, as the company has just finished its rollout of Android 5.0, some 4-5 months after Google unveiled it. But that doesn’t mean you cannot get the opportunity to try the latest and greatest of Android OS in 5.1, especially when you’ve awesome community of developers who are burning their midnight oil to get you exactly what you are craving for right now: the Android 5.1 update, based on AOSP. Thanks to AICP team, your Galaxy Note 4 can be updated to 5.1 right away, if you are ready to do the necessary groundwork, which basically means installing a custom recovery like twrp first (link below in guide) and then flashing the AICP ROM.
First thing though is determining whether your version of Galaxy Note 4 is compatible with this Android 5.1 update or not. Well, only if your Note 4’s model no. is SM-G910F/G, you can try this ROM, otherwise not. Check it in Settings – About phone, or on Note 4’s box.
Of course, nothing beats an official OTA update from the OEM if you want all original features of the device that were marketed to you and supreme stability, but for sacrificing that for AICP, you’re in turn getting the stock Android UI as Google envisioned it, which is way, way more beautiful and exciting than Samsung’s Touchwiz custom UI. Plus, you get tons of customization options with the ROM, that makes the deal all more sweetened up.
All in all, if you hold a compatible Note 4, model no. G910F/G, then you sure try out the AICP Android 5.1 ROM, we really think you’ll love the UI and features more than Samsung’s own, even though it could mean trading off with some of the coolest Note 4 features like S-Pen and multiwindow.
Here is the feature list of AICP ROM:
- Compiled from Android Ice Cold Project: AICP sources.
- Version 9.0 Beta
- initial release
- Android 5.1.0 R3
- Old Layout
- Proximity Call
- Add blocker
- Notification FC Disabler
- LCD Changer (persistent)
- Gesture Anywhere
- Recents Panel Settings
- App Circle Bar
- Network Traffic on statusbar
- Show CPU Info
- Boot animation changer
- CM Theme Engine
- Slim Launcher
- Slim’s Heads Up, with the ability to disable
- QS Screenshot Tile
- QS Screenrecord Tile
- QS Quick and Smart pull down
- QS WiFi Detailed Tile View
- QS Location Tile – Enable Advanced Settings
Also, if you miss S-Pen on Note 4, then try out these apps listed below on the play store that could help you minimize on your loss.
- Note buddy
- cm S-pen add on
- screenshot ultimate
- Auto desk sketchbook
- floating tool box
- Ever note
Btw, installation remains easy, you’d need a TWRP recovery for this, please find the link below in the guide.
Note: Well, because it’s not an official update from Samsung, you could find some small bugs/issues with it.
Download the ROM file in .zip format from the source development page here, where you could also keep a tab on current issues with the ROM and fixes, if any, available. Also download the Gapps from here.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4, model no. SM-G910F and SM-G910G only (European devices with Snapdragon processor, not Exynos)
- Don’t try on any other variant of Galaxy Note 4, including the sets at T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T. Don’t try on Exynos powered Note 4 either, model no. SM-G910H.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Transfer the ROM file package file to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save it.
- You need TWRP recovery for this. Get it from here. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
- Boot into Recovery mode.
- Once in TWRP recovery, take a backup of your current ROM. Select Backup, then do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once the backup is finished, select Wipe, then do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install.
- Navigate to the file where you saved your ROM’s zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
Your device will now reboot with Android 5.1 update, thanks to AICP custom ROM.
In case you need any help over this, let us know. And, you can thank the developer aukhan for this.
Android 5.1 update is also available on:
- Samsung: Galaxy S5 (Sprint and Verizon) / S4 LTE / S3 / S3 LTE
- Google: Nexus 4
- OnePlus: One
- LG: G3
- HTC: One Max
- Motorola: Droid Razr
- Sony: Xperia Z Ultra