Whether you are looking to root your shiny new Samsung Galaxy J7, or installing custom ROMs, well, here is the TWRP recovery that you are gonna need. Of course, root is entirely possible without TWRP recovery, but when you have TWRP, it’s darn, darn easy job.
The TWRP recovery for Galaxy J7 is available in version 220.127.116.11, and is an official version. Though, note that installing the TWRP recovery will TRIP KNOX counter on your device, that you see in Download mode. It will become 0x1, meaning the warranty of your Galaxy J7 will become void.
- Galaxy J7 TWRP Recovery — Link | File: twrp-18.104.22.168-j7elte.img (17.3 MB)
- Odin PC software — Link | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
→ Check the official page here for the newer version of TWRP recovery, if any, which may already have fixed the bugs mentioned above.
- SAMSUNG GALAXY J7, model no. SM-J700 (j7elte, one with Exynos processor)
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Important: Check your device’s model no. on its packaging box, or in Settings > About device. Btw, because there are two variants of Galaxy J7 based on processor in use, be sure to use an app like Droid Info to make sure that your device’s model no. is j7elte. If you don’t see j7elte as model no. DO NOT try this on your device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
Step 1. Download Odin and TWRP recovery file from above.
Step 2. Install Galaxy J7 driver (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
Step 3. Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
Disconnect your Galaxy J7 from PC if it is connected.
Step 4. Boot Galaxy J7 into download mode:
- Power off your Galaxy J7. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Power + Home + Volume down together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
Step 6. Connect your Galaxy J7 to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your Galaxy J7. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until Odin recognizes your device and you get the Added!! message.
- If it doesn’t, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. Mostly, drivers are the problem.
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
Step 7. Load the TWRP file into Odin. For this, click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: TWRP_22.214.171.124_J7_F-H-FU_5.0.2_v2.tar
- Info: When you load files, Odin checks the md5 of firmware file, which takes time. So, simply wait until that’s done and the firmware file is loaded. Don’t worry if Odin gets unresponsive for a while, it’s normal. Binary size will also show up in Odin.
Step 9. Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Galaxy J7. Wait till installation is finished, after which your Galaxy J7 will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do this all again. Disconnect your device, close Odin, boot device into download mode again, open Odin, and then select the firmware and flash it again as said above.
- If you get FAIL in the top left box, then also you need to flash the firmware again as stated just above.
→ That’s it. Enjoy the TWRP recovery v2.8.70 on your Galaxy J7!
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.