Jealous of all the other Samsung devices getting a taste of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 with your Epic 4G Touch still hanging at Ice Cream Sandwich? Well, be jealous no more as a custom Jelly Bean ROM based on pure AOSP Android 4.1 has come out it, letting you get a taste of Jelly Bean unofficially.
Released by XDA Recognized Developer sbrissen, the ROM brings a pure Jelly Bean experience – a smoother interface, offline voice typing, improved and actionable notifications, advanced voice recognition service, etc – with a few added custom features taken from CyanogenMod 10. Do keep in mind that the ROM is in its early development stages and is not stable for every day use and should only be considered a preview of Jelly Bean.
The following issues exist in the ROM at this point (quoted from the development page):
- LOS (this is kernel related and I am still trying to track it down)
- Random screen wakes
- Camcorder effects cause FC
Let’s take a look at how Android 4.1 Jelly Bean can be installed on the Epic 4G Touch.
This procedure and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOSP Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM on Epic 4G Touch
- [Important] Install the CM9 ROM on your phone by following the guide → here.
- [Skip if you already made a backup while installing CM9 in step 1] This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons to boot into CWM.
In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select options.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into the Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Epic 4G Touch. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.