Samsung Captivate might be more than a year old but this device is still live and kicking. It has been getting Developer support ever since its release and the trend is very likely to continue. And this tie around, it got the Ice Cream Sandwich based new version of MIUI, the MIUI 4, ported to it, all thanks to developer nygfan760.
This MIUI 4 rom ported to Captivate is in fact a port of well-known drZMIUIv4 Rom for Galaxy S i9000 originally developed by Bhuvan Goyal. The MIUI 4 rom brings with itself the goodness of MIUI and the features of ICS, Android 4.0.
To install MIUI v4 on your Captivate, read below.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-i897. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on Samsung Captivate and not any other device.
- Based on official MIUIv4 release for nexus s, 2.2.17
- Glitch v14 Beta 5 Kernel.
- Added/fixed video recording which wasn’t working in latest build.
- Added face unlock which wasn’t working in latest build.
- Added APEX LAUNCHER.
- Added nova launcher.
- Various tweaks.
- Fixed camera.APk which does not crashes when changing megapixel.
- Removed unwanted apps to extend battery life.
- KG3 modem.
- Rooted Samsung Captivate with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install drZMIUIv4 ROM on Samsung Captivate:
- Download the rom file from the original development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to your Internal SD card on the Samsung Captivate.
- Turn off the phone. Wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe. First select Wipe data / factory reset » select Yes on the next screen.
- Next, select Wipe Cache Partition » select Yes then
- From the main menu of recovery, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » select Yes on the next screen. You’re done wiping off the data. Lets flash the rom now.
- From the main menu of recovery, select “Install zip from sdcard” » “Choose zip from sdcard” » scroll to and select the **rom_file_name.zip** that you transferred to your SD card in step 2. Then select Yes on next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the flashing process is done, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up, and when it does, enjoy the Dark KNIGHT Rom on Samsung Captivate.
That’s it. You now have the Rom installed on your Samsung Captivate. Now you can visit the original development page linked in step 1 to check development progress and updates. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.