Samsung Captivate ICS Rom: Dark Knight
This phone simply refuses to fade into the darkness. Even after a year and a half of its launch, Samsung Captivate continues to get Developer support. Samsung may have washed their hands of the first generation of Galaxy handsets as far as ICS is concerned, but that didn’t stopped developer b-eock over at XDA from giving it some Ice Cream Sandwich treatment. The Rom is called Dark Knight and is fully ported from AOSP Galaxy Nexus ROM. Read on as we guide you through the procedure to install this ROM on your phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on Samsung Captivate and not any other device.
- Developer: b-eock
- Engine: Android 4.0.3 release Nasif modified, changed, improved
- Very Fast System
- New More Black Theme
- Zoom on camera
- init.d Support
- Touch to focus
- Voodoo Color
- Themed APP
- Insert Busybox
- Xloud ported enable to default – improve sound speaker
- Sd card tweaks speed
- Tweaks in Build.prop
- Best battery life [NO Android OS BUGS]
- WiFi Tethering
- HD 720p Video recording
- 4.0.4 G-apps
- Rooted Samsung Captivate with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Dark KNIGHT ROM on Samsung Captivate:
- Download the rom file from the original development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to your Internal SD card on the Samsung Captivate.
- Turn off the phone. Start Clockworkmod recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe. First select Wipe data / factory reset » select Yes on the next screen.
- Next, select Wipe Cache Partition » select Yes then
- From the main menu of recovery, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » select Yes on the next screen. You’re done wiping off the data. Lets flash the rom now.
- From the main menu of recovery, select “Install zip from sdcard” » “Choose zip from sdcard” » scroll to and select the **rom_file_name.zip** that you transferred to your SD card in step 2. Then select Yes on next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the flashing process is done, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up, and when it does, enjoy the Dark KNIGHT Rom on Samsung Captivate.
That’s it. You now have the Rom installed on your Samsung Captivate. Now you can download cool Themes for this Rom or visit the original development page to check development progress and updates. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.