Samsung Captivate Gets Another Jelly Bean ROM in Slim Bean [Android 4.1]
Slim Bean ROM, a follow-up to the Slim ICS series of slimmed down ROMs has been released for the Samsung Captivate based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1, by XDA Recognized Developer krarvind. Slim Bean is a trimmed down ROM and comes up at a small size of around 80-90 MB, and is mostly completely stock Jelly Bean but pre-rooted, has a custom home launcher, and also features a smaller DPI value for higher density of text for a sharper look.
NOTE: The ROM is currently in the alpha stage of development, so some things might not work properly and there may be a few bugs and issues in the ROM, so keep in mind that the ROM is not to be considered completely stable as long as it’s in the alpha stage.
Slim Bean ROM for the Galaxy Nexus international/Verizon variant can be found → here.
Read on to find out how you can install Slim Bean ROM on your Samsung Captivate.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Slim Bean Jelly Bean ROM on Samsung Captivate
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 4 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your phone and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Slim Bean ROM.
Slim Bean ROM, based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Samsung Captivate. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.
Also try out CM10 for the Samsung Captivate → here.