Samsung Captivate Gets Another Android 4.0 ROM — Slim ICS
The Samsung Captivate is getting it’s share of Ice Cream Sandwich goodness in the form of custom ROMs. A few days ago, we published an article about the Dark Knight ICS Custom ROM for the Captivate, and less than a week later, here we are again, with another brand new ROM called Slim ICS. Slim ICS ,brought to you by XDA member sepherian, is a port of Slim ICS for the Vibrant, and is completely debloated, and really slim , as the name suggests. And as always, we have a handy guide ready for you to install Slim ICS on your device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on Samsung Captivate and not any other device
- 5 Languages ( en ( us, uk), fr, it, de, es) No additional language will be added.
- Zeam Launcher ( stock ICS launcher provided in addon package)
- Basic Google Stuff Included ( 4.0.4 Gmail,Talk, Calendar and Contacts sync)
- Market 3.4.4
- Team Hacksung Kernel ( for now, flash any 4.0.3 kernel of your choice)
- Easy to customize.
- 182 DPI
Everything should work. If something doesn’t tell me.
Changes I made:
- Changed Kernel to Glitch 14 B3 (chose B3 because it gave me the best results during testing
- Changed JVT modem to KG3
- Changed build.prop for captivate
- Rooted Samsung Captivate with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Slim ICS ROM on Samsung Captivate
- Download the ROM to your PC from the original development page. [ Filename: Slim ICS 2.6 for Captivate.zip | Size: 75.8MB]
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to your Internal SD card on the Captivate.
- Turn off the phone. Start Clockworkmod recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe. First select Wipe data / factory reset » select Yes on the next screen.
- Next, select Wipe Cache Partition » select Yes then
- From the main menu of recovery, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » select Yes on the next screen. You’re done wiping off the data.
- Now go back to the Main Menu and select Mounts and Storage. On the next screen select Format System and then Yes-Format System
- Go back to the main menu again, and, select “Install zip from sdcard” » “Choose zip from sdcard” » scroll to and select the “Slim ICS 2.6 for Captivate.zip” that you transferred to your SD card in step 2. Then select Yes on next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the flashing process is done, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up, and when it does, enjoy the Slim ICS Rom on your Samsung Captivate.
That’s it. You can visit the official development page linked above to check for updates, add-ons, and to submit bugs, if any. Let your friends know about this ROM and the guide, and share your thoughts with us in comments below.